Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stuart Smith

Carp on the fly
« on: 17/07/2008 at 17:50 »
i was wondering if anyone had fly fished for carp?

i was at my local fishery today and the trout fishing was crap but i hooked and landed three very big grass carp.they are one of the hardest fighting fish i have every hooked.

i didnt know if there was any fishery that would let you fly fish for them and dont have a scooby about flys

any info would be a great help

thanks stuart

Rob Brownfield

Re: Carp on the fly
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2008 at 10:26 »
Yes  :z7

Grass carp are quite a feat to catch on the fly..well done!! The carp I have had have all been Commons or Mirrors. Flies for carp tend to be things like Wulffs, dry Daddy Longlegs, large white moth imitations etc. Basically anything that sits on or in the surface film and is big! Carp are curious and will mouth many surface items :) My favourite is a "dog biscuit" fly which is basically a muddler head trimes to look like a chum mixer biscuit!

They will also take things like leeches so flies like the Wolly Bugger or black IPN will work.

Lastly, there has been a bit of experimentation with using flies like large leaded blood worm (Apps would work) that are cast to "bubblers"..ie, fish that are feeding on the bottom and that are throwing up bubbles as they do. You might just get a supprise as you may pick up Tench and Eeels as well :)

Carp fly fishing is a growing sport in Europe and to a lesser extent, the USA. They are much cheaper to stock than Trout, will take a fly, they go back alive so there is no restocking and a 20 pound Carp on the fly is some fish..which I am still trying to get!!

Stuart Smith

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2008 at 13:13 »
ye thanks

it was klinks i was getting them on.is there anywhere in the north east that u can fish for them or have i got to go down south?

stuart

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2008 at 15:38 »
Kingennie, Sandyknowes, Glen of Rothes are the main ones I know of. You could ask Andrew at Pitfour if he would let you try on the coarse pond.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2008 at 01:22 »
thanks i will have a look

« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2008 at 23:46 »
You could ask Andrew at Pitfour if he would let you try on the coarse pond.

yeah that would be no problem, had a couple of guys fly fishing it for the roach

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 28/07/2008 at 10:42 »
Having just come back from Cornwall
and having caught a couple of reasonable sized carp, using bait :grin
I think carp on the fly would be awesome fun, size for size they seem far more powerful than trout

Daniel caught his first double (Carp, that is :roll) I've posted the picture in the gallery, the smile says it all :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 28/07/2008 at 11:05 »
The small fish upto about 5 pounds are awesome..as they get bigger the fight tends to be more dogged, staying deep and boring along the bottom. Orchill fishery near Gleneagles is the place to go :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 29/07/2008 at 01:56 »

Daniel caught his first double (Carp, that is :roll) I've posted the picture in the gallery, the smile says it all :z16

Cracking photo Sandy ....... Well done Daniel :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 02/08/2008 at 03:39 »
Hi stuart ,
               You never caught these from the Mill of C by any chance :z4.
                What did you take them on anyhow?.
                I have been up there a fair bit this year and have noticed a group of around 4 of them cruising    the top end of the pond!

Stuart Smith

« Reply #10 on: 03/08/2008 at 01:11 »
thats the one

there is a group of 4 or 5 and theres a group of about 12.ive been getting the ones which are on there own.they seem to be bigger

the first one was on a big klink and the others have been on big drys.there very hard to catch.was up the other day for 4 hours and only hooked one.never landed it

give me a shout next time your going up and i will come for a cast or two

stuart

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com