Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Wetsuit boots
« on: 17/07/2008 at 10:32 »
Anyone out there using neoprene wetsuit boots over traditional 'stockingfoot wader boots' for float tubing?

I can think of some pros and cons for each so would like to hear from someone who's given it a try or even converted fully.

cheers
 Iain

Jim Eddie

Re: Wetsuit boots
« Reply #1 on: 17/07/2008 at 16:06 »
Hi Iain

I have never tried it myself , however I know a couple of guys who do , it cuts down the weight when hiking into hill lochs , never heard of any cons .

Cheers

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 17/07/2008 at 17:56 »
Hi Jim,

Yes the weight and benefit of quick drying would be a bonus.

I was wondering if I'd have to buy new fins more in line with the traditional SCUBA set up as mine are the typical snowbee type which has a harder 'heel rim' shall we say which I assume are designed to be used with wading boots. 

I do worry a little about the possibility of having to walk back up a large Loch, or a small one with rough terrain, in them when fishing in more 'unlandscaped' areas. Thinking from an ankle support or durability angle.

I'm also thinking if the heavier wading boot has a more stabilising or anchoring advantage when in the tube????  just a thought.

Have to go bairns playin up

Iain

Dave Gordon

« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2008 at 21:42 »
PM me and you can try both wetsuit boots and scuba fins!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 18/07/2008 at 13:15 »
I use them and find them great for tubing and for boatfishing, have done a bit of wading in them as well and no problems. They work ok with the snowbee flippers. I did notice the flippers pinched a little at the instep but i had laced them tighter than necessary. Some guys pack a light pair of trainers for walking into hill loch,s. I got mine at Aberdeen watersports and the biggest size they had were just big enough to squeeze on over the feet of my waders. Im a size 10 shoe.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2008 at 19:20 »
Another product that would work well is Rock Boots. They are designed to go over neoprene socks of top end dive suits to allow a diver to walk/climb over rocks. They come in huge sizes and are real comfortable. I will leave a demo set with Mike next weekend, along with a few pairs of proper fins :z4. I can also leave some wet suit boots in size 12 - 14 if this helps.
D

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2008 at 20:37 »
Dave
That would help , I,m a size 46 so would need a larger size.

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 27/07/2008 at 19:50 »
I purchased a pair of neoprene boots from Diver Dave & they are the dogs ornaments. Easy to fit, easy and light to store, easy to dry and very comfortable to walk in.
Used them today in conjunction with the 'Snowbee' type flippers and I didn't like the combination. I found that the hard frame really hurt my feet - I did have them on reasonably tight, perhaps because I'm over cautious about dropping a fin, but my preference is to go with a standard type flipper.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 27/07/2008 at 21:03 »
Iain

Re dropping a fin , some guys use those releasable cable ties to attach the fin to their boots in case the do fall off.

Peter Rabbiangler who comes on here can advise.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #9 on: 27/07/2008 at 21:12 »
Good fins should drive themselves onto the foot, and the best ones only have a strap because we expect it! Force fins, which are very expensive and very popular in some diving groups do not need straps, and work well, but i would not recommend them for tubing as they are too expensive.

I have discovered a new boot that may be perfect for all our needs, wading, tubing and summer wading without waders. They are cheap, very durable and both Mike and Hamish think they could be ideal. They were designed for sailing and surfing I would imagine but are real tough, well made, and look kind of like light weight wading boots or canvas trainers, but are neoprene lined and front lacing. They are only £29.99 retail but i will be working on a deal price and will post a picture and discounted price here tomorrow night

D

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 27/07/2008 at 21:38 »
I've had a good look at the boots Dave's taling about and liked them hugely - they even make a pair that fit my size 13's  :shock - when I get back from Ireland will be putting a pair through their paces as my 'go to' wading/tubing boots..... will let all know how I get on with them  :z16
For the price, I really don't see any 'angling' wading boots that can compare  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 28/07/2008 at 00:26 »
Hi folks

Yes, we had a look at these boots today and for the first time ever ( I hate wading boots ) I think these would be very good for tubing, standard river & loch wading and ...... they would also be very useful for boat fishing in wet conditions :wink

Well done Dave ..... a cracking find :z16
Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 28/07/2008 at 07:35 »
Maplin do releasable cable ties, though I'm told they only do them online in 100's  (buisness opportunity Mike??) you can also get them on ebay if you look hard(?) enough. Simply slip them through the strap of your fins and then through the lace of your boot, obviously a prob if your using diving boots!! :grin

I bought a pair of diving boots from lidl - £5 - and only noticed this glitch when I tried to use them :oops. So on advice I finally found a pair of extra big hillwalking boots to use and after 1 outing they seem great (watch this space for long term reports). They have the advantage of grip when walking in the hills on wild outings.

Having lost a fin (temporarily) on my first 'wild' tubing outing - head of loch shin with a hooley blowing directly down the loch - next stop Lairg  :shock- I made up cord ties to hold them on till a couple of mates - stuart(pbibio) and Kevin Muir, told me about the cable ties - quick simple & safe.

As for fins, I'm a big chap with a Big caddis - not the most hydrodynamic tube - so for speed on open lochs I bought a pair of Frog diving fins which give plenty of push for long distance tubing. The only fault with them is that on small water like haddow is that they are too long & awkward so they catch bottom to easily. So I bought a set of cheap short fins from Lidl and modified them - £5 & they work great.

Peter

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 07/08/2008 at 15:03 »
Used my new flippers (from Diver Dave) last Saturday morning and they are a great combination with the neoprene wetsuit boots - as Daves' post said they should not require 'retainers' and now that I've used them I see what he means............one less thing to carry and rig up - result!

I'm collecting a pair of the rock boots tomorrow and hope to try them both in the river and with the standard 'hard' float tube fins real soon.

I'll be in touch

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 09/08/2008 at 12:56 »
Went out in the tube this morning to try out the Typhoon Rock Boots  :z5(Aberdeen Watersports). I used them in conjunction with the standard Tube Fins (Snowbee Type) & they performed admirably. An excellent fit and very comfortable - I used the size 10/11 over a size 9 Snowbee neoprene stocking foot wader and they were so comfortable I can't see me using my standard wading boots when on the river. My wading boots are the Orvis travel/packable type which are the lightest that I have seen but still make you feel that you are a distant relation of Frankenstein. :z2

The only slight downside I can see (from a personal Tubing standpoint) is that I doubt that they can be used with Divers Fins so I will have to keep them for river wading & when using standard fins on smaller waters...............which is far from the end of the world.

By the way I have no affiliation with Aberdeen Watersports I'm just giving an honest critique on items I bought thinking that they might improve my enjoyment of the sport.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com