Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Bargains from the States
« on: 15/07/2008 at 16:57 »
Anyone who knows me know I like a bargain , I an reccomend this site http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=75963&cdf=AffinitySale.

I got a pair of Simms breathable waders , a pair of Korkers wading boot and an extra pair of soles for around £80 , Ok I had to pay around £20 postage , got hit for £18 by customs , total cost £118. All delivered within a week  :z16

I reckon it would have cost me well over £200 here, so result  :z4 Customs is also a lottery you may be lucky  :wink

:z18

Jim

Graeme Gauld

Re: Bargains from the States
« Reply #1 on: 16/07/2008 at 10:10 »
Hi are there sizes the same as ours ??  for example size 9 boot

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2008 at 12:46 »
American sizes are one size higher than ours, so if you usually take a size 9 boot here, in the states it will be a size 10.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 17/07/2008 at 19:44 »
Re sizes , remember to add on 2 sizes , you need 1 size bigger for your wading boots so if you are a UK size 9 you need a US 11.

I think the Korkers boots are great , I have waded the Dee, Don, Deveron, Ythan and the Ericht with no problems , aslo walked into Loch Beannie a couple of times , those boots on the link were originally around £125 in the UK , if you search the site you can get the Korkers Wetlands for under £25. 

Cheers

Jim 

Dave Mundie

« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2008 at 16:16 »
I see that first time buyers get an extra 10% off too  :z16
might have to see how much pennies i got left from the holiday

Dave

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2008 at 20:44 »
I too have recently been considering getting goods from the good old US of A instead of rip-off Britain.  However I had read elsewhere that you can get clobbered with additional costs by HM Revenue & Customs.  To find out how much I phoned the HMRC helpline and spoke to a helpful chap.  He explained that everything being imported into the UK, which is valued at less than £290, is subject to Customs Duty of 3.7%.  In addition it will be subject to Import VAT the rate of which depends on the goods being imported.  Apparantly everything has a 10 digit classification code, details of which are buried in the bowels of the HMRC website, but he said if you really want to know the Import VAT rate, then phone the HMRC Classification Team on 01702-366077 and they will tell you the rate for your waders, boots, rod or whatever.  He also advised that after all that, the company processing your parcel when it arrives in the UK, eg Royal Mail, Parcelforce or whoever, should charge £8 Mail Clearance fee.  So, in a nutshell:

Take your USA vendors price
Add the relevant USA State Sales Tax
Add Postage costs
Convert into Pounds Sterling, and if it's under £290
Add 3.5% Customs Duty
Add Import VAT (from HMRC Classifiaction Team. Alternatively add 17.5% - I think that's the max. rate ??)
Add £8 Mail Clearance fee

and if the total is less than you'd pay in the UK, seriously consider going for it  :z3  Of course the total figure you arrive at is a worst case scenario.  It appears to be a bit of a lottery as to whether or not you will be clobbered with the additional costs at the UK end - just don't bank on being one of the lucky ones to avoid them.

After all that I forgot to ask the chap what happens if your goods are worth more than £290 when they arrive in the UK !!   :oops :oops

Hope the above is accurate - if not, blame the bloke on the HMRC helpline  :z4 :z4

gunner100

« Reply #6 on: 04/11/2008 at 22:42 »
There are three rates of VAT in the UK.
0%, 5% and 17.5%.
Zero is on food, kids clothing etc and 5% applies to fuel, electricity , oil for domestic purposes practically everything  else is 17.5%.
For us anglers this means that all angling tackle is charged VAT at 17.5%, however as the stuff goes thru' Customs it depends very, very much on the senders declaration, the carrier and surprise, surprise how busy the Customs post is at the import depot.
You could be lucky!

Lyall

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2008 at 08:27 »
What with the crap exchange rate just now plus the postage from the States I have found that for many items the UK price is only a few pounds more, or sometimes actually less if you shop arounnd, and thats not taking into consideration the import duty and tax.

I have also been getting a lot of rod building stuff from Holland and for some reason I have not been charged import or VAT on that at all. EU perhaps? Anyway, some of the european sites are really good value and the postage is far less.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com