Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Hotels with fishing
« on: 14/07/2008 at 22:41 »
Any suggestions for hotels/self catering with wild trout fishing onsite or nearby. Preferably not in the midge infested areas!!!
Fairly high quality accommodation prefered but any suggestions welcome.
Neared to aberdeen the better also. Not asking for much am i...
Noel. 

Mike Barrio

Re: Hotels with fishing
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2008 at 23:46 »
Hi Noel :z16

Would be fairly easy to come up with some suggestions for wild trout river fishing, but a tad trickier if you are looking for wild trout loch fishing?

Which are you looking for?

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2008 at 16:58 »
Noel

What about the Grant Arms ? Plenty of fishing , good food.

You could try the Buchan Hotel in Ellon , not a fishing hotel as such , but used to have some fishing on the Ythan , you could also fish the estuary at Newburgh on a day ticket , Sea Trout should be running and you'll likley get a few Bass as well. Not to far from the Don , get a roving ticket from Diver Dave. 

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2008 at 13:22 »
Im leaning more towards loch fishing. Having said that i like the idea of all your suggestions jim  :z16 Does anyone here fish the estuary at Newburgh? Sounds interesting.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 17/07/2008 at 20:03 »
Noel

Newburgh , you fish just by the bridge at the north end of the town. Its standard sea-trout patterns , you need to catch the tide though. You can spin as well if you fancy , you should get sea-trout and Schoolie bass.  I think its £25 for a pemit. What some of my mates do if the tide times are right fish a couple of hours each side of the tide , go to a fishery , come back and catch the second tide.

Nearest wild Brownie Loch to Aberdeen would be Loch Lee , drive up Glen Esk from Edzell , permits from the keepr at Tarfside (thats on the way up the Glen) Also a chance of a Char. Its years since I fished it but I think there are only a couple of boats , it can get wild so if you have your own outboard that would be good.

:z18

Jim     

gunner100

« Reply #5 on: 17/07/2008 at 23:12 »
AC,

Was on the Ythan estuary myself today. Fished from boat on the rising, full and falling tide and then to the bridge for the ebb. Mate had 3 sea trout, 1 1/2 lbs, 2 1/4 and 2 1/2, 2 on fly and 1 on spinner. I lost one of 2 lbs on a spinner. We also had plenty of small immature sea trout which were returned.

All in all a very good day but experience counts as my mate demonstrated!!

Well recommended but as Jim points out above, the tides are everything.

Lyall

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2008 at 16:25 »
Altnaharra hotel, or one of the B&B's in Altnaharra,  I fished Loch Meadie and Loch Naver earlier this year and had good success with the brown trout, (Ke-He being the fly of choice), there is also Loch Hope, Loch Stack all within the Altnaharra hotel estate........Also accessible is the River Naver which is good for Salmon and the odd sea trout.

Do a search on Google for the Altnaharra hotel and you'll find the website.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 01/08/2008 at 08:44 »
There is a nearer wild brown trout water...loch Callater out just past Braemar, plus the Braemar Angling association have a couple of wild waters that can be booked by visitors..tickets from the tackle/shooting shop in Braemar..is it Countyways?

Just past Loch Lee you have a couple of hill lochs in Glen Clova.....Brandy and..arrrrgh..cant think of it, but the Glen Clova hotel issues tickets and would be an ideal base for them...perhaps 40 miles from Aberdeen..

Hope thats useful info...

Rob

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 01/08/2008 at 09:41 »
Hi Rob,

Funny thing that..............mentioning Loch Brandy. I was thinking about fishing there in the tube on one of my days off in a fortnights time (as the In-laws are from down that way & her indoors likes to visit her Mum). I've fished the Hotels' stocked loch twice but always meant to give the wild Broonies a try. I've heard its a wee hike to the loch and the troots are not that big but if my ageing frame can get the tube up there then I'm going to give it a go.

Have you fished it before? & if so any what's the scoop?

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 01/08/2008 at 12:16 »
Here is the route map I used originally http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/perthangusfife/214100 As you will see..its about 4km to the loch. Tickets from the Hotel. I have fished it for the Pike on the fly, and there where lots of Brownies splashing about. The odd cannabil trout gets taken each year, but expect 10-12oz fish mostly. Traditional wet flies seem to be the way to go.

Pictures here http://photos.sooty.org/c585957.html

Hotel site for info and tickets http://www.clova.com/

there is also another loch up there..Wharral..but dont know much about that one.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 01/08/2008 at 22:45 »
Thanks Rob,

The Loch looks ace. Will have to have a practice run of getting all the gear into the old rucksack. 

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 17/08/2008 at 21:17 »
Altnaharra hotel, or one of the B&B's in Altnaharra,  I fished Loch Meadie and Loch Naver earlier this year and had good success with the brown trout, (Ke-He being the fly of choice), there is also Loch Hope, Loch Stack all within the Altnaharra hotel estate........Also accessible is the River Naver which is good for Salmon and the odd sea trout.

Do a search on Google for the Altnaharra hotel and you'll find the website.

The Altnaharra looks ideal but think that plan will have to be put back to next year. Two many plans and not enough weekends :cry
Fished Meadie 2 years ago, lovely loch and plenty of small trout. Had a nicer fish from the outlet burn. Will hopefully be up that way again in sept. Of Hope, stack and naver which would you say is the better?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 17/08/2008 at 21:22 »
Here is the route map I used originally http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/perthangusfife/214100 As you will see..its about 4km to the loch. Tickets from the Hotel. I have fished it for the Pike on the fly, and there where lots of Brownies splashing about. The odd cannabil trout gets taken each year, but expect 10-12oz fish mostly. Traditional wet flies seem to be the way to go.

Pictures here http://photos.sooty.org/c585957.html

Hotel site for info and tickets http://www.clova.com/

there is also another loch up there..Wharral..but dont know much about that one.

Hi Rob
Pike on the fly.....I really want to try that.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 18/08/2008 at 08:29 »
Hi Rob
Pike on the fly.....I really want to try that.

So whats stopping you? ;) Give me a shout if you fancy getting out sometime? Evenings are good just now.

Rob

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com