Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stuart Smith

Re: Loch of Lintrathen
« Reply #75 on: 07/09/2008 at 14:32 »
ive just been reading through this topic and salar35 was told there was no pike in the lock

i was fishing it 3 or 4 years ago on a very clear bright day with a friend and the trout fishing wasnt that good so we decide to stop for lunch.we took the boat to the road shore side of the loch but before we hit land about ten feet from the bank in very shallow water there was a pike just sitting there.

i know it was a pike because i had a few casts and it broke me at the boat after about a ten min fight.the fish was about 8lb

ive also hooked a couple of big fish down deep when fishing big flys which stayed on for a few seconds before they broke 8lb leader.i have always put them down to pike

have always thought about using a 3 or 4 inch perch fly on the point but always forget to that them but not this time

stuart :z12

Paul Rankine

Re: Loch of Lintrathen - Boat pairings
« Reply #76 on: 07/09/2008 at 21:30 »
Hi Hamish,
               Jedi and GRHE.
Paul.

Ross

« Reply #77 on: 08/09/2008 at 10:15 »
Hi Sandy,

Either or, I'm in Old Deer now, so can easily come to you guys (Pick Up) and head out the backroad to auchty nae where! :z4

Do they supply lifejackets?

I have some experience with outboards, haven't used one in YEARS though!

Forfar area for 10am, god dam :shock :cry :sleepinsmiliewhichdoesntexist

Hamish Young

« Reply #78 on: 08/09/2008 at 13:07 »
Forfar area for 10am, god dam :shock :cry :sleepinsmiliewhichdoesntexist

***cough*** that would be Forfar area before 10 - well before 10 :shock

Jim Eddie

« Reply #79 on: 08/09/2008 at 14:48 »
Or better still Kirriemuir area at 09:30  :wink

Jim Doyle

« Reply #80 on: 08/09/2008 at 16:57 »
I unfortunately cant make this trip as I,m on duty!! How ever I,have been known to catch the odd trout or six from lintrathen.  My guide for what its worth goes like this.  From the harbour go left to the bay by the rhoddies, you get fish right along this shore up to about 90yds out, good buzzer water. Its not a bad drift along the shore from the rhods down to the first bay, here there are the remains of a sunken cottage.  A few drifts int the island are worth ago, quite deep water (comparitivly) so sinking lines wrk.  Behind the island there is a channel that is the old river bed, this runs up past the bird hide.   The bay between the tip of the island and the bird hide is worth a shot which ever way the wind's blowing.  From the tip of the island right down to the slipway there is a drop off if you can drift along it you should find fish.  From the slipway (sawmill) to the dyke is good water there were afew fish there last week.  The little loch is not worth bothering about at the moment too much weed.  From the gap in the dyke out is decent water. Try drifting out from the corner where the new hide is.   You can pick fish up right up to the corner by the small dam.  In recent times the midle of the loch has produced fish, this is due to the oxygen system, this is marked by bouys, give it a go even if the things are not on.  Be ready to go on the drys early, as soon as you see a fish.  Watch the rises cause there are one or two wee brownies in the place, but dont be deceived some of the rainbows make the smallest of dimples.  Try dbs and nymphs ,snatchers go well, if you want perch  a white lure on an intermediate is alost certain to produce.  Have a good day and I,will try and make the next one, how about rescobie?.  any one needing more info just ask. jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #81 on: 08/09/2008 at 19:18 »
 :z18 Jim

Never fished Lintrathen before, should all the advice is well appreciated.
I guess if there is perch in there, i'm going to have a problem with my boat partner :roll

Sandy

Jim Doyle

« Reply #82 on: 08/09/2008 at 19:52 »
Just remember you cant throw him in!!   ground baiting is not allowed :z13 :z13 jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #83 on: 08/09/2008 at 19:53 »
Hi Jim :z16

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure we'll all find them useful :cool:

Pity you can't make it this time ........ but I guess that gives us an excuse to think about putting together another outing :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #84 on: 09/09/2008 at 12:09 »
Sadly one more revision, Ben D can't make it due to a staffing shortage on the day :z10

So we could do with one more rod to make up 2 rods per boat again :z6
Come on Rob.... you know you want to come along  :wink

The list sits at:

Mike B
Hamish
Spiderman & 'little me'
Jedi
GRHE
Soundmixer
Rabbitangler
Bri
Pbibio
Kev Muir
Baz
Ross

Paul Rankine

« Reply #85 on: 09/09/2008 at 12:35 »
Hi All,
          Here is a link to the Bathymetry (depth contours to you and me ) of the Loch of Lintrathen which folks might find useful . The link is actually to a long list of Scottish waters ,scroll down the list to find Lintrathen .

Interesting reading ,whether you intend to plumb the depths or caress the shallows. ::)

http://www.nls.uk/maps/bathymetric/loch_order.html

Paul.

PS: Coupled with Jim's excellent tips we are all set . Looking forward to it.

Brian Brand

« Reply #86 on: 09/09/2008 at 22:08 »
That's a good site Paul, it will save me dangling Mike over the side of the boat :z4

Regards,
Bri.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #87 on: 10/09/2008 at 12:40 »
 :z4

See you there.

Paul.

Hamish Young

« Reply #88 on: 11/09/2008 at 15:15 »
Sadly, yet another 'pull out' called me today  :z8
My regular boat buddy Euan 'soundmixer' :z1 has some short notice work on that afternoon (which must come first) and has had to cry off from this outing :z6

So.... 6 boats it is. Please God no-one else pull out now :! :roll

Our 'dirty dozen' now reads:

Mike B
Hamish
Spiderman & 'little me'
Jedi
GRHE
Rabbitangler
Bri
Pbibio
Kev Muir
Baz
Ross

Ross

« Reply #89 on: 11/09/2008 at 15:20 »
What's the partners then! Draw from a hat or something, also hows the weather looking? (Bollocks, pissing down raid and 35mph gusts haha)

Sandy/Mini Sandy,

You guys wanting a lift?  or is it easier for me to jump in with you guys?

9:30 in forfar, ARGGG! :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com