Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Loch of Lintrathen
« on: 07/07/2008 at 20:52 »
General query really.
I plan on going there this Thursday with "soundmixer" but have never fished Lintrathen in my puff - any good :?
Any hints/tips/suggestions of how/where to fish :?
Might go to Backwater, but fancy a day drifting so Lintrathen more likely :wink

PDScott

Re: Loch of Lintrathen
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/2008 at 21:07 »
Hamish,
I have fished there twice with my brother - on the first occasion it was only stocked with browns and we had several small ones plus a few perch. On the second occasion they had started to stock rainbows and the man at the boathouse told us that they had put in 2000 the week before! Unfotunately it was blowing a "hooley" with a buffeting wind coming out of the North-West and we never saw one fish move on the surface. I ended up with one under-size brown and a near case of sea-sickness. If you do encounter a windy day, there are several bays which you might try and a sheltered area at the bottom of the loch which appears to be seperated with a wall of some description. If I can get hold of my brother, I will try to add more information before Thursday.
All the best.
Peter

Stuart Smith

« Reply #2 on: 07/07/2008 at 23:31 »
hows it going?

i use to fish it all the time but havent been there for two years.the rodes,the road store, the river mouth, the little bay straight across for the boat house, and the little bit which is closed in down the far end were the best bits to try

flys- bibo, claret pennel, red tailed blae and black were moslty my fish catchers

it was a lot better fishery before they put the rainbows in

let me know how you got on

stuart  :z12

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2008 at 15:05 »
sound advice Stuart, I think the little loch will be closed off because of the water height, but its worth a look. Evenings were usually good when I fished it, a number of years ago it must be said, with a rise, sometimes of biblical proportions, down near the rhodedendrons to the left as you look from the boat dock. Dries such as CDCs, shipmans etc worked too, as did various 'lures' - you know the type.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2008 at 20:09 »
Crap conditions today - bloody cold as well  :z10  - but we managed plenty of brownies to about 3/4lb and moved far bigger trout. Took home a rainbow each best just under 3lb and it went very very well indeed.

'Bows took claret bumble and claret sedgehog - browns took "typical loch patterns"  :z16

Will definately go back, it's a nice water and worth the visit :z3

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 27/08/2008 at 16:52 »
Had my second visit to Lintrathen last week and much warmer than last time but still tricky conditions - wind was damn fickle - sport was slow with only the occasional fish showing but loads of fish coming short. Chopping and changing fly size/depth/speed made liitle difference so as I had taken the 'whole' armoury with me I tried out a superfast sink and white lures to see if anything would have a go...... result was plenty of Perch to about 1lb and one Brownie about 1lb on the sinker.

But no 'bows.

After lunch the conditions were ideal and I switched back to a floater and loch patterns, hard going (even the brownies) but managed a brace of 'bows for 5 1/2lb, one belting overwintered fish about 3lb which took my favourite 'adapted' claret bumble and had me into the backing more than once  :shock
Euan  :z1 sadly wasn't blessed with the same fortune as I, but as he lives considerably more local to Lintrathen than I do it's likely he'll be back again soon to get some practice in to show me up next time :z4

Nice to get out onto a 'big' loch and fish 'loch' style, so much so that I thought a wee forum outing might be a plan :?

Anyone interested :? Plenty of boats available and £45 for 2 rods fishing 10am-5pm with a bag limit of ten in the boat isn't too bad.

Can't say when exactly, but I'd like to go back again before seasons close.

salar35

« Reply #6 on: 27/08/2008 at 17:13 »
The aerator (centrally situated in the main loch) is a good place to find fish. And on one outing two years ago, my boat partner and I fished the small loch and as I was pulling in a three-inch perch which had seized my nymph, a fish of around five pounds made a massive lunge at it. So I tossed the poor wee perch back into the general area (still attached!) and the monster tore into it once again.

I put this big fish down to a pike until I learned on my return to the jetty that there were.........no pike at all at Lintrathen! So :z17 the muckle trout may still be cruising about that secondary loch yet! Good luck.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 27/08/2008 at 17:19 »
Haven't yet made it to the 'wee' loch, have seen it from the road, must make an effort to try it next time I'm there :z16
Aerator was turned off when we were there last, but the chap at the boathouse did mention it was a good spot.

I did have something wrench at one of the lures but didn't see a thing so no idea how big it was, have been told they do get some really good Brownies there so maybe..........

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 27/08/2008 at 17:46 »
Aye I'd be up for a wee stravaig down to Lintrathen , work family etc permitting  :cool:

:z18

Jim 

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 27/08/2008 at 21:42 »
Good man Jim - anyone else :?

This is the only on-line information I've been able to find, doesn't really do the place justice IMHO  :z6

http://www.flyfishingscotland.com/subpages/lintrathen.htm

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #10 on: 27/08/2008 at 22:18 »
same here as jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 27/08/2008 at 22:57 »
That's two  :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 27/08/2008 at 23:06 »
pencil me in

Peter

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 27/08/2008 at 23:12 »
Hi Hamish
Great stuff ...... Me too please :z16

Cheers
Mike

( hopefully the day won't coincide with one that I have advance bookings for :z3 )

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 27/08/2008 at 23:41 »
4 :! Blimey - well with me and Euan that's three boats already  :z16

Excellent  :cool:  :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com