Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Scottish Govt. Freshwater Fisheries Document , 4th July
« Reply #15 on: 09/07/2008 at 23:09 »
Dave,
you are significantly wrong about the Bass..but I am not going down that route again.

As for coarse fish and coarse fishing, the methods that have been banned are those very methods that a coarse angler would want to use to catch coarse fish...so..that prevents anglers from fishing for coarse fish!

Secondly, not many coarse fish are caught because the very methods that are left to the coarse anglers precludes any coarse fish being caught. Allow deadbaiting (no natural minnow..and I understand this covers all dead fish), maggots (yes, trout love maggots and yes, to a coarse angler trout are a menace), ledgering and groundbaiting (that would allow eels to be caught and returned) etc and you would see more coarse fish caught. Not many 8oz Roach can take a lobworm meant for Salmon for example ;)

I understand what you are saying about a "by catch of game fish" and yes, this is a problem I have encountered on the Tay, Isla, Clyde, Endrick and Forth..but I can assure you EVERY game fish taken by myself and other club members/fishing buddies have been treated with the greatest of respect and returned very much alive to the water. Besides that, if the person is an Association member, whats the issue with them catching and releasing a trout or three if fishing for Roach on the loch? If they are sticking to the rules (trout to be returned if caught on coarse tactics for example) then it should not be an issue.  :wink

Anyway, as been pointed out, I am no longer a member through choice  :z18 and nobody has to defend the ADAA against me..I actually think they have done a good job in general and openned up a lot of fishing that Joe Bloggs would never had access to. Once more, keep up the good work.

Ross

« Reply #16 on: 10/07/2008 at 11:32 »

Tin helmets and flak jackets at the ready....

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 10/07/2008 at 20:06 »
you are significantly wrong about the Bass..

I believe that Dave is talking about the Bass reportedly caught in the river, the reports have solid grounding and also feature within some documentation/recent reports completed on the river so I'm firmly of the opinion that Dave is correct in what he said in his post.
We are staying well away from that previous "topic" though  :wink

Getting back to the main thrust of the post I have now flicked through the mighty tome and, perhaps surprisingly, it is well laid out and explains well the long term objectives. Once I've studied it more closely I'll post something more on the thread topic I'm sure.

Fisher

« Reply #18 on: 10/07/2008 at 22:03 »
Rob

Dont know where you get your info re sea bass at the Don Estuary from. I fish there regularly and havent seen a bass for several years now. We did have 2 consecutive seasons when bass up to nearly 2lb were regularly taken when fly fishing for sea trout but that was quite a few years ago and has never been repeated since. They were caught up as far as brig of Balgownie at that time  - 1 fish of 7lb was taken by an angler who didnt know what it was at the time.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com