Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Loch Beannie 20th June
« on: 21/06/2008 at 19:33 »
My mate and I headed South after work on Thursday , we made good time and  arrived  at Invereddie farmouse in just under 2-1/2 hours.We were warmly welcomed by Mr and Mrs Young with tea and chocolate biscuits. We were then shown to our room which were spacious , nicely decortaed  comfortable double beds and en-suite facilities. We settled down to watch the fitba with a bottle of Malt.

Up at 06:30 for breakfast at 07:00, the breakfast was sensational , fresh orange ,choice of cereal, fresh strawberries , freshly made coffee , toast and a full Scottish breakfast to set us up nicely for the day. Mrs Young also made us a grand packed lunch for a fiver. I would have no hesitation recommending this B & B if you are in the area.

A 25 minute walk saw us at the loch, alright for the fit amongst us , I was breathing out my erse   We were met with a snell East wind and bright sunshine. Bandy had warned us the boat was holed , its just a wee hole so still useable , my mate tried the boat but was blown up the loch to quickly.

I waded up the bank from where the boat house used to be , step cast , step cast. The water was not that cold , just as well as I had half of it in my waders. I was using the trusty March Brown 5# , my favourite Grenadier on the dropper and Rainbow Bead Spider on the point. I was soon getting offer but my hands were to cold and I missed most of them. It took me until around lunchtime to reach the top of the loch having landed 4 fish , I lost a good fish last cast before lunch , it took on the drop , put a good bend in the rod and was off
Much the same in the afternoon , I landed another 3 , again losing a good one , this time it was on for a bit longer , never really saw it , kept boring deep , got it to my feet to see the flash of its belly and it turned and threw the hook, never mind wee both had a grand say in a magnificent setting.

Headed back up the road around 16:00 , stopped at Peggy Scots at Finavon for our tea, again highly recommended, its clean , the service is good , the food is made fresh to order.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

Re: Loch Beannie 20th June
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2008 at 22:19 »
Hi Jim ........... Thanks for the great fishing report and the photos :z16

Bonnie trout, aren't they! :cool:
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2008 at 00:16 »
Indeed they are bonnie trout - look in good condition too  :cool:

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 22/06/2008 at 00:26 »
The troot are inded bonnie , the loch seems to have a good population of freshwater shrimp. Its an awesome setting in a bowl with the hills on three sides. Plenty of wildlife , its a shallow loch I had waded out 20 yards or so and was stll only up to the wedding tackle , a couple of roe deer came down to feed and were oblivious to me. There were also a pair of Ospreys circling but I could not get a decent photo.

:z18

Jim       

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com