Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Sexyloops adventures
« on: 18/05/2008 at 15:31 »
As some will know, Mike, Sandy and myself hit the 'sexyloops' forum annual bash at Dunkeld  - great fun :z16

Will post some pics of the whole event (well, the ones I took anyway) in this thread..... but to whet the appetite here is Lasse in video doing the impossible with Sandys own design split cane rod:

Mike Barrio

Re: Sexyloops adventures
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2008 at 20:29 »
Yes ......... We had an awesome time! :z16

Soooo much to learn :z6

But the help and tips from fellow "loopers" was never ending and amazing :z12

I'll post some more photos and hopefully some video too :wink
Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2008 at 22:09 »
A few more pics:

Our wee B&B - not too shabby  :cool:

Lasse finds he likes casting with grass rods....... Rich goes WTF :? 3wts :? :? :!

Mike H shows just what can be done with a Barrio #5wt outfit  :shock

And in video.....

Two guys I just happened to meet there  :wink

Rich explains why #12wts and above rule - who would argue :shock

Great time, great company :z3

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2008 at 22:42 »
An excellent day yesterday . Well done Sandy, you didn't disgrace yourself in that shoot out, the big guns better watch out next year :z16. Saying that Mr Arden is something else, even when compared with the other contestants :z12 . I'm looking forward to next years event if it goes ahead, but it'll take that time for me to practice verything I was told. Mind you most of it was from Rick and I ain't gonna argue with him!! :shock

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 19/05/2008 at 09:06 »
 :shock

Problem is brute force is no substitute for grace.
The guy in black is Stefan, a swede, who matches All the big guns foot for foot, but doesn't appear to be putting in any effort, Amazing.
I had some lessons off him after the event :wink
There was a a lot of presentation casting going on as well as the distance stuff, and although the distance stuff is a great willy waving exercise, the guys with presentation skills were fantastic to watch and join in with, Proper fishing skills that can be used in the real world.

What Lasse Karlsson was doing with My Boo was astonishing, well chuffed it can do what i designed it for, even if i can't make it do that. The line was a 120ft SA med, a pure distance casting line, and it was going a long way
All in a fabulous and enlightening 3 days and one i will repeat next year, i would recommend anyone interested in casting to do the same, and we should all be interested in casting :z16.Its not every day you get to talk to, get lessons from, drink with and then compete with, a couple of world record holders, several instructor examiners and generally some of the best caster/anglers in the world.
Imagine trying that in the golf world :shock Drinking and talking to Tiger, Els, Singh, etc and then the next day getting to play with their clubs and them showing you how to hit the ball better, it just wouldn't happen. Anglers are great people :z16

I reckon guys like Mr Arden and co , could wander down the river with just one general imitation fly (a hares ear) and because they can put it exactly where they want, would catch more fish than the rest of us, doing our best to match every hatch. certainly one to think about :z3

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 19/05/2008 at 17:49 »
:shock

I reckon guys like Mr Arden and co , could wander down the river with just one general imitation fly (a hares ear) and because they can put it exactly where they want, would catch more fish than the rest of us, doing our best to match every hatch. certainly one to think about :z3

Sandy

Sandy you missed the fly shootout later on in the pub :shock. Pauls simplified royal wulff aka the royal fuckup tied to look like a burst pillow, timed against the clock. It was hilarious, rough as the proverbial badgers behind, ugly but I'm sure Mr Arden would use this monstrosity with complete confidence.

oh and catch fish too.

I totally agree about a visit next year - guys it was well worth the journey!!

Peter

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2008 at 19:36 »
Glad you had a good week-end guys looks like you enjoyed it.

Sandy that was great  distance casting in some pretty impressive company , 10th overall prety damm good.

Just one question though some of those pictures where the gys look like they are about to launch themselves into next week , how does that work ? does that not take energy out of the cast ?

:z18

Jim

Magnus Angus

Re: Sexyloops adventures New
« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2008 at 20:31 »
those pictures where the guys look like they are about to launch themselves into next week

Great description Jim - you need to see them cast - they are actually very relaxed, several use different grips for the front- and back-casts, their hands are just cradling the rod. It's about speed and accelerating the tip in a straight line for as long as possible. http://www.sexyloops.com/movies/ben/127ft.wmv
The step means they can use weight transfer productively, and lets them lengthen their tip travel - have a look at Ben he shuffles forwards about 10ft in the course of that cast - throwing a #5 line 127ft.
Things to watch on that clip are how smoothly he moves, the length and speed of his haul. Most of the big-hitters now cast leading with the foot on the rod side, they arch backwards to extend the back-cast then start powering and turning the rod on the forward cast as it comes level with their ear. Most don't cast with the thumb on top of the rod.

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2008 at 22:22 »
It was awesomely impressive and quite humbling (in a way) particularly for those of us who came *** cough*** last in the shoot-out  :oops I can take some cheer from the fact I did cast a couple of the rods further than a few folk, but not enough :roll If only the 9ft Helios #5wt had been in the shoot-out..... or Sandys 9ft #3wt Winston..... now I could almost cast with them  :z7

However, it was fascinating to watch the guys at 'work' really very interesting in a geek-ish kind of way.
The 'loops bash has kindled an interest in distance casting which previously I never had  :cool: It's a very different technique which I'm keen to learn and I know I'm not alone  :z3

For the first time in my life I'm going to have casting lessons :! Suspect I'll be re-learning almost everything ~ jings  :shock

Mike Barrio

Re: Sexyloops adventures New
« Reply #9 on: 20/05/2008 at 22:33 »
Hiya Hamish

You would have been placed higher up the scale ........ If I had entered  :z4 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com