Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bakerboy

Mill of Criggie
« on: 08/05/2008 at 15:56 »
Would any forum members like to share experiences of fishing at Mill of Criggie near St Cyrus.
It is a lovely little venue but is never busy.
Down by Arbroath there is another fishery called Geordies which lacks the beauty but is always busy.
Why is this? :?

Peter McCallum

Re: Mill of Criggie
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2008 at 18:05 »
A question of personality I think. Geordie is an old farmer who talkls to you when you arrive, leave and any time you want in between. He's not  fisherman but loves to see folk catch (particularly the kids I take from Montrose Academy). Kevin at MoC is a totally different character who doesn't have the same 'old world' charm as geordie, is trying to aim at the serious angler, but he doesn't come over as a people person so tends to put folk off.

In saying that if I were to choose one of the two to fish myself Mo would win hands down, the evening rise is nothing short of amazing.

Peter

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2008 at 23:18 »
STRANGE............Perhaps the venue has a bad aura. Appologies If I talk out of turn
but my experience of the Mill of Criggie prevents me from even thinking about spending a cent of my childs inheritance there unless I hear of a positive report from a reliable source about the fishery.
I have two monumental memories of this fishery .....both of them bad............1st is when Mr McVicar ran the fishery and , what can I say.. he was to decency as Adolf Hitler was to world peace.
2nd was when I went back a few years later having heard the ADOLF had moved on I spent a session on a platform fishing a 30 degree radius for 4 hours due to the weed...................sorry not for me.

The fishery did have good fish and does have the potential to become a respected venue but I think I'll stick with the 1/4 lb fish that taxes my brain rather than my wallet.

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2008 at 08:30 »
Never fished Mill of Criggie, went and had a look once (some years ago now) got back in the car and legged it elsewhere :z6 Might have had something to do with the German Shepherds trying to eat me as soon as I got out of the car  :shock

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2008 at 18:37 »
This place was a paradise for top of the water fun but has gone down hill in the last 3 years. Went up last time home with a hope it might be better but still as poor as my last few visits.
For all your fishing down this neck of the woods the only place to be at this moment has to be carlogie!
Maybe a small water but fishing very well at the moment!

Have a look at the reports if you like!
http://www.carlogie.co.uk/pages/events.htm

« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2008 at 21:23 »
HI

Mill of Criggie would be my local but I often find that (as mentioned before) it is always covered in weed but the place does have the potential to become a great venue if only the pond was made deeper and the weed problems were sorted out.

On the positive side I did have a 4lb brown on a tad pole last time I was there. And I do know that the guy who runs it, breeds great brown trout in the lower ponds where unfortunatley you are not allowed to fish.     :cry

Jim Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2008 at 18:03 »
MOC is less than 3 miles from my door, I,d sooner drive to rutland for the day than contemplate a day at MOC.  Peter is a little diplomatic in his description of the owner.  His people skills are some what lacking!! :roll :roll  but rudeness is not what I want when I go fishing, if you dont want people to fish in your lakes dont open them .  jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2008 at 22:05 »

Down by Arbroath there is another fishery called Geordies which lacks the beauty but is always busy.
Why is this? :?
[/quote]

Even though it dont look to pretty it fishes well and there are some good fish in there. Geordie is a good lad and for C&R he charges £6 for 5 hrs which is too cheap really but he enjoys the banter with all the lads so make the most of it while you can!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com